5083 aluminum alloy sheet VS. 6061 aluminum metal sheets
Similarities between 5083 aluminum and 6061 aluminium
Both 5083 aluminum and 6061-T6 aluminum are aluminum alloys.
They have a very high 96% of their average alloy composition in common.
Different between 5083 aluminum and 6061 aluminium
5083 is the highest strength non-heat-treatable alloy in commercial use. It has good formability and weldability and retains excellent tensile strength in the weld zone by virtue of its as-rolled properties. It is used most often in structures requiring high weld efficiency and maximum weld strength. 5083 also has excellent resistance to corrosion.
5083 aluminum alloy temper:
Aluminum 5083 sheet is the representative product of the 5 series. Most of the temper is H321, H116, 5083 aluminum was usually used in the shipbuilding industry.
6061 aluminum sheet/plate
6061 aluminum plate is a heat-treatable grade widely used in light to medium strength structural applications. The alloy has good corrosion resistance and weldability and possesses good formability in the 0 to T4 tempers. 6061 does lose appreciable strength when welded and it is replaced by the 5000 series alloys where afterweld strength is a prime consideration.
6061 aluminum sheet/plate temper:
6061 aluminum is the representative product of the 6 series, the temper is generally 6061-T6, 6061-T651 and 6061-T652.
More differences between 5083 alloy and 6061 aluminum alloy:
- After heat treatment (T6), 6061 alloy reaches medium strength, and its strength is higher than 5083 materials;
- The material of 6061 T6511 aluminum sheet is easier to process than 5 series alloys such as 5083. It shows better processing performance when machining with single-point or multi-axis diamond tools;
- 6061 alloy has excellent surface treatment and anodizing characteristics, and the effect of hard oxidation is slightly better than that of 5 series materials such as 5083;
- 6061 also has a certain degree of corrosion resistance, and the corrosion resistance will not decrease when exposed to the air, but it is not as strong as 5083.
Machinability is a little better with the 6061-T6
Specification of 5083 aluminum sheet plate and 6061 aluminum plate
|Thickness||0.5 ~ 6.0mm for sheet, max 500mm|
|Width||600 ~ 2,650mm|
- – Standard Width and Length: 4〃 x 8〃, 4“ x 4“ , 4 in. x 10 in. aluminum sheet, 5 x 10 aluminum sheet, 48‘ x 96’ aluminum sheet, 1219 * 2438mm, 1220mm x 2440mm aluminum sheet, 1000mm x 2000mm aluminum sheet, 1250mm x 2500mm, 1219 x 2438mm, 1524 x 3048mm, 1500mm x 3000mm aluminum sheet.
- – Surface Finish: Mill finish (unless otherwise specified), Color Coated, or Stucco Embossed
- – Surface Protection: Paper interleaved, PE/PVC filming (if specified)
- – Minimum Order Quantity: 3MT
In addition to the commonly used specifications, Alu Aluminum can also produce 5052 ultra-wide and ultra-thick aluminum plates with internal stress relief and no deformation during cutting, and the width is 2650mm, the thickness is 500mm.
Description of 5083 and 6061 on wikipedia：
The above content is the difference between 5083 aluminum alloy and 6061 aluminum alloy.
Most of Alu aluminum 5083 sheet/plate and 6061 aluminum plate stock is available in full size and custom cut lengths.